What is Mix It Up?
It may be the simplest nutrition program ever—no calorie counting, no fat gram tabulating, no weighing or measuring. Just easy-to-remember daily selections of colorful produce—more than 120 possible choices. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables is exceptionally healthy. Putting produce first can help you reduce your risk of obesity, heart disease, some cancers, diabetes, and hypertension, while increasing energy.
How does it work?
The goal is to eat at least five servings of produce each day, including a minimum of three vegetables that are red, orange, yellow/white, green, or blue/violet. By spreading daily choices across the rainbow of colors, participants get the best produce has to offer—vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytochemicals —for better health.
Participants earn points for every healthy food they eat and log online:
• Vegetable serving = 2 points
• Fruit serving = 1 point
• Top Choice selection* = 1 bonus point in addition to the fruit or vegetable points
Who can participate?
All current DU employees are eligible to participate. No student employees please. Everyone who registers and joins a team will receive a reusable snack bag!
When does Mix It Up start?
• Registration and team formation opens March 25, 2013.
• All teams must be formed by Monday, April 22, 2013.
• You may begin recording your activity on Monday, April 8, 2013.
• The team competition will end on Sunday, June 2, 2013 but you may continue logging your activity and using all the fun features in Mix It Up through April 7, 2014!
How does the team competition work?
The goal of team participation is to reinforce healthy eating with a fun, friendly competition that emphasizes the overall goals of Mix It Up. Read How it works on the Team page to learn more.